I have shared with you why I oppose H.R. 5786 but now I’d like to offer some reasons why this bill is detrimental to you as a consumer.
Fewer natural ingredients allowable
testing required for natural ingredients is necessarily more expensive than for synthetic ones
bill requires cosmetic manufacturers to list every detectable element in each ingredient. With today’s technology, we can detect trace amounts of certain substances at parts per billion!
many natural ingredients are going to be very expensive to test, because natural ingredients are much more complex than synthetically created ones.
Synthetic ingredients usually only have a handful of compounds in them, because they can be created that way (in a sterile lab environment).
- Natural ingredients are derived from living organisms (like plants and flowers) and are inherently complex.
- parsley is made up of at least 204 different compounds, and many essential oils are composed of hundreds of compounds.
RESULT: natural ingredients will be much more expensive to include in cosmetics because the testing to figure out what they are made of is much more expensive.
Many natural ingredients would be banned
- bill outright bans many substances which are supposed carcinogens.
- apples naturally contain minute amounts of formaldehyde and a several other chemicals.
- many compounds which are required by our bodies to function become toxic or carcinogenic in large quantities (even water will kill you if you drink too much!).
- other chemicals are totally tolerable by our bodies in small doses (we’ve been eating formaldehyde for as long as apples have been around), but are highly toxic in large doses.
IT’S THE DOSE THAT MAKES THE POISON!!
RESULT: manufacturers cannot put extracts from apples, pears, bananas, basil, almonds, and thousands of other natural ingredients in their products, yet you can go to the supermarket and take them home and eat them.
Less Product Choice
- bill will put THOUSANDS of small, local, independent cosmetic manufacturers out of business because they just can’t afford to spend the enormous amounts of money to test their products.
RESULT: the only products for sale will be the ones from the larger companies that have been able to afford the added expense.
Less Clear Ingredient Listings
- bill requires manufacturers to list every constituent of each ingredient, the ingredient listings for cosmetic products (called the “ingredient deck” in the industry), would balloon to an absurd and unusable level.
- Under this bill, the ingredient listing for WATER would look something like this:
Aqua (lead, acrylamine, alachlor, alpha/photon emitters, antimony, asbestos, arsenic, atrazine, barium, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, beta photon emitters, beryllium, bromated, cadmium, carbofuran, carbon tetrachloride, chloramines, chlordane, chlorine, chlorine dioxide, chlorite, chlorobenzene, chromium, copper, cyanide, 2,4-D, dalapon, o-Dichlorobenzene, p-Dichlorobenzene, 1,1-Dichloroethylene, cis-1,2-Dichloroethylene, trans-1,2-Dichloroethylene, Di(2-ethylhexyl) adipate, dinoseb, diquat, endothall, endrin, ethylbenzene, fluoride, glyphosate, hexachlorocyclopentadiene, mercury, radium, uranium, vinyl chloride, xylenes)
- A typical natural lotion that has 35 ingredients, each with 100-200 constituents and trace elements= an ingredient deck of at least 3500 individually listed ingredients.
RESULT: it will be virtually impossible for the average consumer to determine what exactly is in the product.
Less Affordable Product
- cost to test these ingredients is enormous, and the testing would have to happen multiple times.
- e.g.: olive oil and shea butter. Bill would requirethe company that refines the olive oil and shea butter to test for all of the constituent compounds in each
- also requires the manufacturer who combines them then has to test the finished product for all constituent compounds, to make sure nothing “unsafe” has developed as a result of the combination.
RESULT: the only way for companies to stay profitable is to raise their prices.
Less Money for Local Communities
- there are hundreds of thousands of people across the country making a living (or some extra income) by making natural & safe cosmetics products and sell them on-line or in local shops.
RESULT: this draconian regulation will kill the American dream for thousands of people who have a passion for natural cosmetics; those local communities which they operate in will take an economic hit.
Action steps that you can take to oppose this horrible piece of legislation:
- Sign the petition in opposition of H.R. 5786
- Vote “opposed” in the bill sponsor’s poll
Please help us grow the number of votes cast and continue the landslide opposition.
- Tell ya’ mom n’ em – Please share this informatiom with family and friends.